Friday, December 3, 2010

Helping Adult Students with Financial Need Pay Costs of Licensing Tests

It's a catch 22--you're unemployed, or low-income and seeking to find a better-paying job, so you enter a technical program at the local community college. That's already putting a strain on the budget. Now you are at the end of your program and need to pay to take a licensing test--you're in school because you're looking to get out of poverty, but the expenses seem to never stop coming!

Tennessee legislation enacted in 2010 seeks to assist low-income adults in such circumstances. H.B. 2645 directs the department of labor and workforce development, in conjunction with the department of education, to develop, implement and administer a program to pay licensing exam costs for adult students with financial need who complete a high school diploma or a general educational development (GED) credential in a career and technical education program and who are required to take a test in order to become licensed for a career in their fields of study.

No comments:

Post a Comment